Why and How to Travel with Only a Carry-On
This story is mainly for the ladies. Sorry, guys. Based on the conversations I’ve had with my customers, it seems women have more trouble than men packing light. Who knows why? My client base is primarily female as well.
Still, there are a few pointers here for men. What about how to choose color? That’s good basic wardrobe advice for anyone. And looking good while you travel? Pure travel packing genius.
Why and how to travel with only one carry-on?
One of the biggest benefits, in my opinion, is you won't have to worry about lost luggage. You'll have everything with you in your carry-on bag.
Secondly, you will have clothes that you will actually wear. No matter where your travels take you, why bring clothes with you that you are never going to wear?
Finally, isn’t it fun to leave a little room in your carry-on to fill with a special something you found on your travels? Whether a pair of shoes or a scarf, I always bring something home with me to remember my trip.
Top Tips for Traveling with Only a Carry-On
1. Have one core color: white, beige, gray, navy, black, or brown.
2. Add only one bright color that goes with your core color and matches everything else.
3. All clothing must be washable - no dry cleaning.
4. All articles of clothing must coordinate with one another. No one piece should stand alone.
5. Each piece should build upon the other. In other words, layer.
6. Hats, purses, and umbrellas should be foldable.
7. Don’t bring shoes with heels that can get caught in the cobblestones or uneven pavement. A low heel like a wedge should do the trick if you need to be a bit more dressed up.
8. Bring one dressier blouse and one dress that can be worn in the evenings and can also be layered.
9. Bring a rain poncho or anorak that can be folded or rolled up.
10. Bring two pairs of shoes. One pair you should be able to walk all day in. The other can be a sandal that you could wear to dinner or for shorter walks.
Your all day walking shoe should not be your running shoes or gym shoes.
Try walking shoe brands like Mephisto, Ecco, Soft Soles.
11. Pack two or three scarves that match everything you bring - they serve as an accessory or shawl if you are cold. Don't be afraid of patterns.
Take a look at this example of one wardrobe, one carry-on, and many gorgeous outfits:
All photos courtesy and copyright Penny Sadler