10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Lexa Pennington's picture
Categories: 

Whether you're at home or traveling, it's important to exercise and stay fit. You'll sleep better, enjoy better health, and be able to get around while you're traveling. But you know all that, of course. And the elliptical or treadmill, while useful, isn't that much fun, especially in a hotel gym late at night. Let's discover some fun ways to get fit, around the world.

10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Walking

Whether at home or during your travels, walking is a great way to get (and stay) fit. Bonus: you'll learn more about the places you're walking. You might discover a new boulangerie in Paris, or some fun new neighbors a street over from your home. Additionally, this is low-impact for your joints - AND your environment. Why is this fun, you may ask? Well, whether you're walking with friends and family or alone, you can learn much about your locale and expand your world. Extra bonus if you do stairs.
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Balance

Have you tried a self-balancing board yet? Besides being extremely fun, you're working your core while zooming around, maintaining your balance. Nice. 
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Surfing

When we were teens, my brother would look for storms on Lake Michigan to go surfing. Now he's a coast guy, and has much bigger waves. Did you know how much flexibility, balance, and fitness are needed for surfing (or kite surfing)? Add in strong arms and legs. This is a fantastic way to get fit - and enjoy the ocean. Don't love water? Hit the slopes and go skiing.
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Scuba Diving

Besides working your brain, scuba diving works your body. Swimming, bouyancy, movement, breathing - keep going scuba diving and your body (and your mind!) will thank you. 
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Swimming

I swim whenever I can, wherever I am in the world. Pool, ocean, lake, river - doesn't matter (although I avoid things that can injure me, of course). I love swimming, and finding new waters to play in? Count me in!
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Running 

A friend of mine runs marathons all around the world. Not only is she having fun, but she gets to travel and experience new cultures and places whilst pursuing her passion.
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Find the playgrounds

You'll have known this already, if you have kids, but if you don't? Find the best playgrounds when you're traveling. They'll be busy with kids in the day, but in the early mornings or evenings, you'll have the place to yourself. Make a circuit and go play!
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Go Dancing!

While you might be more coordinated than I am, and enjoy dancing lessons in a different culture (brava!), you can also just dance to local music, whether on the beach, at a club, at a concert, or in your hotel room or airbnb with a local radion station.
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Geocaching

Do you know geocaching? It's so much fun - and gets you walking and exploring! A treasure hunt that requires you to search, find, and contribute? I'm in! Learn more: https://www.geocaching.com/play
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

Go Local

When we were in Montreal, we saw this amazing group dance in Chinatown - anyone could join in! There's tai chi every morning in parks across Asia. Ask around, and find out what locals to do stay fit, together - or what the local specialty is. Maybe it's horseback riding in Ireland, kayaking, yoga, snowshoeing somewhere north, or driving a dog sled. Join in - who knows? You'll pick up a new sport, and maybe some new friends.
10 Fun Ways to Get Fit

What fun ways do you get fit - at home or on your travels?

10 Fun Ways to Get Fit