10 ways to get the most out of your Guatemalan vacation

EdventureGirl's picture
Categories: 

Guatemala is becoming an ever more popular destination for travelers of all ages. With volcanoes to climb, markets to explore, delicious culinary experiences, incredible scenery, and a culture steeped in tradition, it’s absolutely an ideal getaway. If you’re reading this, you’ve probably already started planning a trip to Guatemala of your own. You’ve researched where to go, what to see, and what to pack. You’re starting to feel excited, and a little overwhelmed. There’s so much information out there, so much to see and do. You want to make the most of your time in this beautiful country. Here are some things to keep in mind as you set off. Remember these tips, and you’ll have an easy time making the most of your Guatemalan vacation!

1: Save money, eat local

Tourist eateries tend to be three or even four times as expensive as the local comedor. If you’re looking to get the most bang for your buck, take a seat at one of the hole in the wall restaurants that crowd the main street of every Guatemalan town. Eating locally is the best way to enjoy some truly authentic Guatemalan cuisine. Meals tend to be around 27 Quetzals, drink included, and typically consist of beans, rice, vegetable salad, fresh maize tortillas, and meat of your choice. If you haven’t eaten at a comedor, you haven’t experienced Guatemala fully! 

2: Explore local markets

Guatemala is famous for its markets, which are arguably some of the most vibrant in the world. While Guatemalan markets share commonalities with markets in neighboring Mexico and Honduras, local culture and traditions give the markets of Antigua and Chichicastenango a unique twist. Carved wooden masks, textiles, pottery, farming tools, household goods - all these and more can be found at a Guatemalan market. There you will mingle with expats, local indigenous people, and a few other tourists like yourself. Shopping here is always an adventure. Learn to barter as you navigate the colorful stalls and pick out a unique treasure to bring home!

Explore the local markets! From 10 ways to get the most out of your Guatemalan vacation

3: Travel to more than one city

Guatemalan cultures vary widely from region to region, with many indigenous tribes and over 20 different Mayan dialects spoken in the country, making it well worth your while to spend time in more than one city. As you travel, you will see differences in costume, local wares, language, and lifestyle. Most Guatemalans speak Spanish as a second language, and will be fluent in at least one indigenous dialect. Leave your hotel behind you and travel by bus or car to a few different cities to get a feel for Guatemalan culture. 

Lago Peten Itza. 10 ways to get the most out of your Guatemalan vacation

4: Take Spanish classes

If you can, spend some time brushing up your Spanish skills before you leave. The ability to interact on some level with locals will be invaluable to you once you’re in the country. Not only will it make your travel experience much easier, it also shows a level of respect and confidence that will get you faster, more reliable service when you need it. Being able to speak the language, or at least greet and thank others, is a common courtesy that every traveler should extend to his or her hosts.

5: Rent a car

This will be your other ideal transportation option during your stay in Guatemala. Renting a car is by far the most comfortable way to get around the country. When you rent a car in Guatemala, you immediately open up a new realm of possibilities to yourself. You can travel anywhere, at your own pace, whenever you want to go. You no longer have to fight for baggage space in a minivan or rely on your driver’s schedule. Buy a map and take a road trip

6: Shop for textiles 

Guatemalan textiles are works of art. Handwoven with care using the same wooden loom system that Mayan highlands people have used for generations, the colors used are vibrant and eye-catching, the patterns extraordinarily intricate. Oftentimes you’ll see blankets crafted out of old huipiles (traditional embroidered tops) sewn together in beautiful designs. Purchase a blanket to throw over your bed back home, or a colorful table runner while you’re in the area. Expect to spend a couple hundred USD for a full blanket, as the amount of work that goes into them makes blankets one of the more expensive souvenirs you can take home. If you’re looking to stay thrifty, go for handcrafted slippers, scarves, or headbands. 

10 ways to get the most out of your Guatemalan vacation - shop for textiles!

7: Don’t over-schedule

This is one of the most common mistakes vacationers make. Be sure that you’re taking time to relax and enjoy yourself! You’ll want to see the sights and have a good time, but make time to enjoy some local Guatemalan coffee (some of the best in the world), or eat a nice dinner out, or curl up with a good book in a comfortable hammock. You’ll get the most out of your stay if you take some time to indulge yourself. 

A river trip in Guatemala. 10 ways to get the most out of your Guatemalan vacation

8: Go internet free!

The internet can be a drag when you’re trying to have an adventure or simply detox. You check social media, and before you know it, you’re scanning through emails from work, thinking about that bill you’ll have to pay when you get back, worrying about a project you didn’t quite get finished before you left. This is a very large setback to enjoying your stay! Why not disconnect for a few days? Without the distraction of the internet, you’ll find that it’s easier to stay involved with what’s going on around you, and your levels of stress will dissipate much faster. 

9: Take the beaten path

Often you’ll hear that it’s best to go for “off-the-beaten-path” experiences. In the case of a short trip to Guatemala, I would recommend doing the opposite. Visit Tikal, Rio Dulce, Chichicastenango. Stroll the cobblestone streets of colonial Antigua and enjoy the sight of Volcan Fuego erupting in the distance. These are regularly visited sights for a reason. They are all vital parts of Guatemala’s cultural and historical significance, and are certainly worth visiting. 

Head to Tikal! 10 ways to get the most out of your Guatemalan vacation

10: But don’t be afraid to step off it

While you’re on the beaten path, don’t be afraid to step down a side street for a peek at something unusual. Keep your eyes open for local festivals to participate in, ask around at expat cafes and bars for information on the best events, and stop by the side of the road to check out markets and interesting architecture. Who knows? You may stumble upon the greatest sight of your stay!

La Merced Church. 10 ways to get the most out of your Guatemalan vacation

Guatemala awaits you! What are some of your tips for making the most of an international vacation? 

About Hannah Miller: I’m a seventeen year old girl, with a serious case of wanderlust. Over the past few years I’ve traveled to over twenty-four countries, on five different continents, using bikes, buses, trains, planes, and of course, my own two feet. Wherever I go, a video camera and three instruments follow. I’m trying to change the world, one step at a time. By the end of my life I want to have visited every country in the world, and do it all through travel writing. In my opinion, there’s no better school than the big world around us, and no better way to learn about the planet I live on than to see it myself! My greatest fear: to reach the end of my days only to be filled with regret for the adventures I never had. Find me at http://www.edventuregirl.com/

All photos courtesy flickr cc: Pedro Szekely, except first photo courtesy Hannah Miller, adapted by Wandering Educators